Sunday

Things That Make You Go Hmmm...

Recently, I have been questioning church. How did our modern-day church come to be? Is this the way God intended for the church to be when He sent the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost?

I have been browsing several blogs and websites reading others' opinions on this matter. Some sites of interest to me are this one, and also Levi's Table (which is currently under construction.)Evidently, I'm not the only one who is confused.

I realize things change, years go by, customs adapt, and there is a time and season for everything. But, can that reasoning be used to explain why the traditional American church has gotten so far removed from how churches operated in the New Testament?

No, those churches were not perfect. There are about 6 books in the New Testament which include letters written by Paul to churches who needed correction.

I'm just thinking out loud and will keep reading and praying until the Lord satisfies my soul. I want what He wants in every area of my life, including church.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could not agree more. Going to church used to be exciting and stimulating, now it is a chore we often opt out of and watch selected services on television. I have thought it was just us, so thanks for the comfort of knowing I am not alone in this thought. Has the church become so interested in attracting the lost that it is losing its power to teach the deep things? It would seem so to me.