Sunday

Goal-Oriented Parenting

I am in the heat of the battle right now in the fight to raise our children to be independant-thinkers who have a heart for serving others and serving the Lord. It is the hardest job in the world. The toughness of it, makes me lean toward my lazy tendancies and find the easy-way-out or quick-fix for parenting. I want to find the perfect book, or the best websites to help me with tips and tricks to lead my children in the right direction.

But then I come back to reality and realize - I'm in the trenches, and there's no way out other than to fight the battle and win. My best weapon is the Sword of the Spirit.

I have found some useful tools along the way though. One of those is the basic idea of goal-oriented parenting. It sounds elementary enough, and some would say "Duh!" when I mention it. But, for those women in my generation who were educated with goal-oriented principles, it somehow skipped the mothering/parenting arena.

The basic idea is this: your family has a goal, a vision or a purpose. Then, you live by it. When children come along, you have a goal or a vision statement for each child. When life-altering decisions arise, or when a trial surfaces you refer back to that vision statement to help you find God's best for that child and for your family. Simple enough, right?

I have been reading a book right now titled "Preparing Sons to Provide for a Single-Income Family." It is a wonderful book written by Steve Maxwell from Titus2.com ministries. Most of the ideas in the book are simple, but in our over-educated society we seem to have lost sight of the simple truth of the Gospel.... love your neighbor as yourself and love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength.

Isaiah 26:3 says, "The LORD gives perfect peace to those whose purpose is firm." So, I am making my way back to the simple life and seeking the Lord about the purpose and vision He has for our family and for each of our 4 children. When I am faced with decisions about whether or not to homeschool, about which extra-curricular activities would best serve my children, about which church we should be attending, and about which friends I should allow my children to grow close to - I can refer back to the purpose. Maybe when I'm in the trenches I'll have a clear vision of the victory ahead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. We have started a "Family Charter" In it we have the goals for our family and a "mission statement" We also define our "places" in the family.
I just saw that book on the Titus website....is it good?

jen

El Shaddai Ranch said...

Yes, the book is good. It's good for parents of both boys and girls even though the topic is about boys. It lays a good foundation for how a God-honoring family can operate.