Friday

Keeping Christ in Christmas

I don't like December. Oh, around October I get excited about the holiday season and I start to make my list and check it twice. But, then it arrives and it is always (ALWAYS) more stressful than I remember. I tell myself - next year I'm going to remember this and make things less hectic. But, then it happens again. I am doing a better job of saying no to all the Christmas parties, cookie exchanges and White Elephant gift grabs. But, to no avail. I long to spend quality time with the friends and family that I cherish. But, that free time just gets eaten up by some sort of holiday goblin that robs an hour here and there.

Now that my oldest children are getting..well..older, I am trying to think of creative ways to establish Christmas traditions and keep Jesus front and center of the chaos. My friend gave me this suggestion and tonight I purchased the necessities to make it happen. She heard about the idea of putting a special gift under the tree for Jesus. One family member gets to open the box and share w/ everyone else what's inside. Inside the box is a mirror. I'm sure you can imagine the inspiring conversation that will ensue.

So, this year I'm going to do the Jesus box, and I am hanging a stocking for Jesus up on our mantle. Hopefully, when our children look at their empty stockings with longing they will see the Jesus stocking and be reminded of His eternal gift to us.

How do you keep Christ in Christmas for your family?

1 comment:

Mrs_Scotsman said...

BekahBoo is 2 this year. She is loving Christmas. We have visited Santa and I'm okay with that. Often when we say Merry Christmas we'll add "Happy Birthday Jesus". At church there is a navity set outside the front door. Every time we go in or out BekahBoo goes over and kisses baby Jesus...too cute. Then I tell her to say "Happy Birthday Jesus". Christmas morning is just for DH, Bekah and me before we go to see others. This year we are going to have a birthday party for Jesus.

MrsScotsman