Wednesday

Snow Days

I don't like snow. I never have. My birthday is in January, and I've always hated my birthday because it always SNOWS on my birthday. My mother tried to encourage me with an igloo birthday cake one year - that didn't help my perspective. I still don't like it.

I don't like getting my feet wet, I don't like being cold, I don't like getting all bundled up and then having to go to the bathroom, I don't like dodging other drivers on snow-covered roads, I don't like it.

I'm not a total pessimist though.


I do like hot chocolate.
I do like days off of school.
I do like watching my kids (from the window) play in the snow.
I do like the look of it.
I just don't want to be in it.

The other day, we had a few inches of snow. The kids bounded out bed. "It snowed!" Before I could get my feet pajamas out of bed, they had dug up the snow boots and snow suits from last winter.

I parked myself in the living room, and tried to navigate which kid could wear which boot this season, and who could wear which coat. FINALLY, the big kids are able to basically dress themselves so I was left to help Gideon and Rachel.

After tripping over and few dozen gloves and scarves, Gideon approached me so I could put on the finishing touches. Gloves on, boots tied, coat zipped..."Mom, can I go now?" Nope. We still need a hat.

I put the hat on and 4-year-old-Gideon, hot with sweat, looked up at me and said, "This is ridiculous."

I couldn't agree more.

1 comment:

Soph. said...

;) smart kid.